“To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe.”
This station stands empty and abandoned since 1995 somewhere in Germany. She was used by the Belgian and U.S. Air Force, and as a storage area of nuclear warheads.
The Braams Zone is located in the middle of nowhere lost in Belgium. I do not know the history of this military communications base. The SAT was built in 1969 and put into service in 1971. It would also be the last SATCOM installed in Europe.The technology exceeded and after 40 years of loyal service he stopped communicating and the site has been forsaken. It seems that budget was released to demolish the basis to build a new one. The future will tell.
Formerly stood a wooden mill. At the start of the First World War in August 1914, the Germans set him on fire. The wooden windmill stood first in Heist-op-den-Berg and was there known as the Platte Bosmolen. He dated from 1843 and moved in 1882 to 1883.The present brick was built around 1920. The roof and wings, from the Everberg mill, were placed around 1925 on the hull. After World War II he was still in use, but the beginning of 1950, uses electricity as driving force.
After producing his last sacks of flour in 1954, the site was converted in the HORECA sector projects in different strengths: dancing, brothel and finally bowling.
The name of the bowling comes simply because he is set at the foot of a mill. The building is a historical monument since 1994.
It seems that the mechanics of the mill still works perfectly!
Restoration seems to be spoken since 2005, but the building is totally forgotten.
Exploration : November 2013 Status : badly deteriorated and difficult access. Future : The site is for sale, but no trace of restoration.
The story of the Salve Mater began in the early 1900s. In 1958 the chief doctors decided to stop, electro shocks, such as treatment. They were the first in Europe to use Tofranil (antidepressant). Early 1970s, all the psychiatric part of ISM was transferred to the University Hospital of Woluwe-St-Lambert, and the buildings sold to the Catholic University of Louvain, which left some abandoned building, and occupies some other as administrative buildings.
The last patients left the pavilion St. Paul in 2007.
The whole site Salve Mater, is renovated and is transformed into a complex of office-appartment accommodation.
To be check : It seems that Paul Verlaine had lived for a time in the psychiatric clinic, shortly after the death of Arthur Rimbaud.
Despite petitions and the refusal of residents, teachers and supporters, this small nursery school closed finaly in 2011. The reason in 2008 for the closing was purely financial. The costs in the school for almost 36 children was irresponsible in light of the financial problems the city faced. All children were placed in another school! Update 2014 : demolished
Prison V - Flemish Brabant - Belgium - 18th century - closed in 1974 and refurbished in Hotel and various clubs since 2009. A small part of the old prison is visible 1 times per year during the Heritage Day in September.